Who We Are
Bob Capes Real Estate and Property Management, Inc. was founded in February 1998. We are located at 2000 Park Street, Suite 102, Columbia, SC. The owners are Bob Capes and Jana Carter. After reading their biographies, you will better understand why are highly qualified to manage or sell your real estate.
We are full-service; we are members of the Consolidated Multiple Listing Service, consisting of over 400 real estate firms. This allows us to list your property for sale or rent, whichever you prefer. Your property is immediately posted on Zillow, Trulia, Realtor.com, Facebook, AHRN (military website), and other worldwide web sources. We gladly cooperate with all other Brokers, unless you want more private showings.
Starting with the large inventory (over 100) of properties that Bob acquired over his 35 years in the business, together Bob and Jana grew the company to manage many more properties throughout the Midlands area.
Even though our numbers continue to grow, we take care of each individual’s property as if it were our own.
Our experienced staff stands ready to explain our policies and procedures in the sale or rent of your properties. Meet our Staff and Sales agents on our website: rentcolumbia.com.
We are a member of the Better Business Bureau.
After graduating from Newton County High School in Covington, Georgia in 1952, Bob was awarded a football scholarship to Wofford College in Spartanburg, SC.
In 1956, Bob was commissioned a second lieutenant in the Infantry and completed 18 weeks Infantry Officer Training at Ft. Benning, Georgia. The remainder of Bob’s 8-year reserve duty was in Columbia, SC at Fort Jackson.
Upon graduation from Wofford, Bob was hired by Southern Bell Telephone & Telegraph Co. to enter their management program. On a path to a wonderful career with one the best corporations; it was difficult to give up this job with a very bright future.
It was in May 1964, that Bob took the giant step of giving up a wonderful package with SBT&T and entering the real estate business with Tom Jenkins Realty as a commissioned salesman.
After four short years, Bob was still thinking about his old boyhood dream of becoming a football coach. Thoughts on recruiting and training football players to turn into doing the same with real estate Sales Associates.
It was October 1968, that Bob, along with fellow realtor John Coleman, opened Bob Capes Realty. Like Bob, John was a former athlete and had been teaching and coaching at Dreher High School in Columbia.
Thru the years, undergoing minor recessions, sky-high interest rates, lots of organizational changes, including Coleman leaving to form his own company; Bob managed to regroup and build one of the largest real estate companies in South Carolina with 8 offices and 255 real estate agents.
In 2001, Bob had reached the age where he was ready to do more traveling and pursue some other endeavors. Therefore, he decided to add a property management department to his company.
During his 36 years in the real estate business, Bob had acquired over 100 single family homes and condos, it seemed only natural that he should devote more time and effort to managing his portfolio. These were managed by a partner, Nancy Zeigler. Knowing that Nancy was thinking of retiring, we bought her interest and in 1998 formed the new company: Bob Capes Real Estate and Property Management.
In the acquisition and ownership of over 100 rental properties over a 36 year period, Bob had learned everything one needs to know about managing rental properties. However, one key ingredient was needed; an individual to oversee and manage the day-to-day operation.
Bob chose a young lady, Jana Carter, who started working with him in 1986, while still a student at Columbia College. They started the new company at 1136 Washington Street in Downtown Columbia.
Please take a few minutes to read about this phenomenal lady.
Jana is proud to call Andrews, SC, one of the state’s favorite low-country communities, her home. It was in June 1983 when Jana completed her high school years at nearby Winyah Academy. She was active in sports, excelling in golf, basketball, modeling and traveling to learn new ideas. For her higher education, she chose Columbia College in Columbia, SC.
While attending college, Jana sought out a part-time job with Bob Capes Realty, in their Accounting department. This was the initial meeting of Jana with her partner-to-be, some 10 years later. A large part of Jana’s job in those early days was learning and taking care of the vast amount of real estate that Bob was acquiring, since 1986.
When the opportunity came in February 1998, to become partners with Bob, Jana was qualified for the job and ready to join in the task of building a new company, Bob Capes Real Estate and Property Management, Inc. Jana is a hands-on Broker-in-Charge who knows the values of Midlands real estate, as well as anyone, and better than most in the real estate industry. Jana has 32 years of key owner experience. She has a phenomenal amount of education to better serve her Real Estate and Property Management clientele.
SALES – We are members of Consolidated Multiple Listing Service, along with 400 other Real Estate companies in the Midlands. As soon as we enter the data on your home, it automatically appears on Realtor.com, Zillow and Trulia, and all other sources that offer to the world this date on your property.
We gladly cooperate with other Brokers on the showing of your property, unless you would prefer more private showings.
RENTALS – Just as stated above, your data is shared with the world. Once we receive inquiries about your property, we have one of our licensed Associates contact and meet the interested party there. Except in certain cases, we do not allow anyone to drop by the office, pick up a key and have access to your home. Many companies will do this.
We do all checks on the potential renter, prepare and have a lease signed, with your consent have our lockbox put on the property for the convenience for other real estate Agents showing the property; and our sign installer to erect a professional post sign.
OUR STANDARD MANAGEMENT AGREEMENT – Fees and services rendered are fully explained in the contract.
ADDITIONAL/OPTIONAL SERVICES –
- A) You may be living out-of-town, already have your property rented, but would feel better knowing that someone like us personally visited your property periodically, sent photos, etc. You may even want us to have your lawn or pool taken care of by a professional.
- We will set up a personal interview with people explaining this is just a routine service that you have.
- A number of people occupying the property and animals present – as best we can determine.
- Anything that seems out of the ordinary that might be harmful to your property.
- Photos of both interior and exterior.
- B) SET OUT AND EVICTION – $500.00 (could be more if there is an unusually large amount of items to be hauled away from the property.)Nobody enjoys this; however, there comes a time when it has to be done. We will coordinate with the Sheriff’s Department, hire the necessary manpower to set items out on the street and haul off the rest.
- C) RENOVATIONS/REHAB – Our Vendor’s cost plus 10%
- You may be in a position where you cannot or do not want to handle the larger jobs that are sometimes necessary. If we already have a Management Agreement with you, this would just entail those expenses over $250.00
- We use contractors that we have been using and have confidence in; we will start with an estimate, agree on the financing of the project, and at the end, we will provide you with all vendor bills, plus our handling fee of 10%.
- D) EXPERT RESIDENTIAL REAL ESTATE WITNESS/CONSULTINGIf you need a man who obtained his real estate license in Columbia, SC in 1964; who was trained by the best, Bob Russell and Tom Jenkins, both legendary Realtors, who has done it all; sales agent, sales manager, sole owner, owner with partners; who has built a large residential real estate company consisting of 8 offices and 255 sales associates; who individually bought, renovated and rented or resold over 200 properties in SC midlands and North Myrtle Beach areas; built a residential property company handling 505 individual houses and condos; who has bought and sold other real estate companies; who has served on all the boards; Realtors, Homebuilders, Bank, Chamber of Commerce, various homeowners associations; who has traveled extensively throughout the United States visiting with, observing, learning and putting into effect the best policies and procedures used by the biggest and best real estate brokers in our industry; then for an appointment and fee you need to call me at (843) 340-3149 or contact me by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Available to travel at your expense.
- E) APPRAISAL SERVICES